Food & Diet: Getting Started
I often say that counting calories is the only important thing when it comes to losing weight. If you want to start losing weight, this is the only thing you should focus on. Once you get in the swing of things, that’s when you improve your diet. It’s all about the small gradual changes; changing everything at once is setting you up for failure. When I started losing weight, I tried to keep things simple; I just stuck to the idea of three square meals a day. I needed to eat 1800 calories a day, so my three meals were about 600 calories each. If you need to figure out how many calories you need to eat, checkout this calculator.
If you have no idea where to start, I will outline in detail what I was eating when I first started, but be warned that I did not eat a large variety of food, I ate the same thing very often to reduce the amount of time I had to prepare food.
(Since this was a while back, I do not have the calorie calculations, but I have faith in you all to figure out a good portion of everything to meet your caloric target. Just read the labels and measure)
For breakfast, I usually had one of these two things:
- Bagel and Cream Cheese
- Scrambled Eggs + Avocado + Sausage/Bacon
For lunch and dinner, I would have a serving of some casserole that I made for the week. I typically made a casserole on Sunday and divided out servings into tupperware containers. Sometimes my roommate would order pizza and I had 2 slices for a meal instead of my casserole. Making a casserole is as simple as doing a google search for recipes and trying out a couple different ones. (Tuna casserole was my favorite.)
- If you would like to go out to eat with your friends, you can do a couple of things.
- Restrict yourself more earlier on, you’ll be able to eat more once you do go out.
- Keep what you order to a minimum. I know the appetizers and desert to go with the meal are tempt, but just don’t… Alternatively, order an appetizer as your main dish if you want to take it a step further.
- Make a decent choice. The triple bacon wham bam burger with a stack of fries is probably not a good choice.
- STOP DRINKING YOUR CALORIES – this alone can help you lose weight dramatically and it really isn’t that hard.